Saturday, September 20, 2014

Chris Brown "X" --- Inside the mind of an R&B bad boy



Have you ever wanted to know what it was like to be a world-famous singer with a criminal past, raging hormones and relationship drama played out in front of the world?  Hold tight you might find a few tracks that lay it out for you.  The track heavy album has 21 songs on the Deluxe version and is  currently available for purchase on iTunes.  Here are my thoughts track for track:


X

The first line of the title track reads "If you're only as good as the company you keep, then imma blame you for what they say about me".  One can only speculate this would refer to his ex-girlfriend Rihanna, who in back in 2009 he was arrested for assaulting.  Their well-publicized on-again-off again relationship since the incident has been tabloid fodder and people are always looking for him to comment on it.  It might be a retrospective on that relationship, who knows.  It has a mellow, if not melancholy feel.

Add Me In

I can honestly say that this mid-tempo track had me moving my shoulders a little.  I found the melody to be very Michael Jackson-esque, which seems to be a reocurring motif with his work.  Overall I think it's a great song to groove to in your car or have in the background when entertaining.

Loyal 

This single, with help from Lil Wayne and Tyga quickly became the hit of summer 2014.  I won't lie, when I first heard this song the lyrics bothered me.  I had a problem with grooving to a joint that discounts the loyalty of women and referring to them as "hoes".  However, being as hip-hop inclined as I am, that would make me a hypocrite.  RnB has been married to hip hop culture (which includes a lot of misogyny) for many years now, and I can't listen to (old) Jay-Z and Rick Ross and be okay with it but be all "How dare he!" when RnB singers do it.  So I jam to it.  Sue me.

New Flame feat. Usher & Rick Ross

I was a little underwhelmed with this track.  On paper, everything about it seems to point to it being a huge hit.  From the production to the features, the song has all the ingredients of a hit.  But something is missing.  Perhaps the lyrics are a bit formulaic, and the verse from Rick Ross was unnecessary.  However, I always enjoy a good Usher collabo, and am glad that male RnB singers enjoy working together.  Which brings me to...

Songs on 12 play

Trey Songz and Chris Brown have been friends for years.  Both from Virginia, they entered the music business as teenagers and have grown into R. Kellys of this generation.  I think this persona works for both of them because it seems pretty genuine.  They really do live that lifestyle.  In case you didn't know, the title of the song is an ode to R. Kelly's famous 12play album.  I get the whole vibe they were going for here.  The song is sexy.  If you like sexy, this will be your shit.  You might even want to add it to your sex song list.

Drown in It

I would have the same sentiments about this song as the previous track, if it weren't for the R.Kelly feature.  I know I am not the only one who cannot get past the accusations about Mr. R-Uh. It is a sexy song indeed, and I respect the fact that Chris wanted to work with someone who had such a major influence on the very genre he is a part of.  I gotta draw the line at alleged pedophelia though.

Came to Do

This sounds a lot like "Loyal".  It's a pretty good jam though.  Akon is on it.  I was just wondering where he's been.  Now I know.  Singing on Chris Brown's song.  Who knew?

Stereotype

Another look inside his mind.  Again, you wonder who exactly he's directing his words to.  Is it his current girlfriend or his ex?  Maybe a combination of women he's known and dated.  One lyric states "you have become my biggest regret".  The lyrics are not as insightful as they could be, and I think it relies heavily on the heavy dance beat.  I can't quite see myself dancing to this though.

Time for Love

This might be my favorite song so far.  I hear a sample from "Juicy Fruit" by Mtume.  I am always here for that beat.  Always!

Lady in a Glass Dress (Interlude)

Who is the lady in a glass dress? I think it's a metaphor for something but haven't figured it out yet.

Autumn Leaves feat. Kendrick Lamar

Pretty Melody.  Perfect song for a Kendrick Feature.  I am a Kendrick fan.  I appreciate his lyrics because he's really great at painting a picture with his words and that's one of my criteria for a great lyricist.  Overall this is a very chill song.  An extra verse or two from Kendrick and you could throw it in the middle of Good Kid M.A.A.D city and it would fit right in.

Do Better feat. Brandy

More insight into Chris Brown's inner turmoil with relationships.  Of course her "girlfriends think you ain't shit".  You don't have the best track record with women my friend.  The theme here is "if I knew better I would do better".  I do really like this song though.  Judge me if you must but I always thought Brandy was a little underrated as a singer.  I love her voice and she can do runs like you wouldn't believe.  This was a great collabo.  I listened to it twice in a row.

See You Around

I really thought I was listening to Mumford and Sons until the drums hit.  I can see this being a pop chart-topper a-la "Forever" from his Exclusive album.  It has a crossover appeal.  So far it's my least fave.  It just doesn't grab me.

Don't be gone too long

Phew.  I was getting worried he had left EDM behind.  This is sure to be a club fave.  With the heavy club beat you can't go wrong.  Bring out the glowsticks!

Body Shots

Album filler in my opinion.  Definitely has an EDM feel.

Drunk Texting feat. Jhene Aiko

Here he collabs with the self-proclaimed Sade of this generation, Jhene Aiko.  Seems like she offered more or less background vocals.  As the title suggests, Chris Brown is inclined to drunk texting.  Aren't we all? I'd probably skip this song.

Lost in ya Love

Another mid-tempo groove.  Saturday house cleaning music is what I like to call this.  Good melody although the lyrics are not catchy.  Maybe after a few listens.

Love More

I wish I loved this song more.  It's gotten tons of spins on the radio, and depending on my mood I will  jig to it.  It's a dance song and I guess would serve its purpose at the club.  Guess you gotta have at least two of these kinda songs on the album.

Don't Think They Know

RIP. Aaliyah.  I appreciate this song.  The lyrics appear to be about fan appreciation.  I like the beat.  The late Aaliyah's vocals were a nice addition.

Fine China

My fave overall.  This song was released almost a year ago with a video.  Everything from the rhythm to the smooth vocals to the MJ feel I appreciate everything about this song.  He clearly saved the best for last.  If this song doesn't make you want to dance I'm judging you.  Not really (but really).


Overall, there's a little bit of everything on this album.  There are more songs I like than those I don't care for, so I guess that makes it pretty good!

On a scale of wack to dope I would give it a dope minus.





No comments:

Post a Comment